A Holladay Blog Series
In a previous article, we introduced you to our new Property Manager for Burlington Station Luxury Residences Cara Pagels. In continuing the Getting to Know Them series, we reached out to the interns who are assisting in our Development departments this summer: Robert Rumer (South Bend, IN), Bill Robinson (Nashville, TN) and Garrett Camaren (LaGrange, IL). Here's what they had to say.
Q: Where do you come to Holladay from? How long will you be serving as an intern?
- ROBERT: I just finished my first year of business school at Notre Dame, where I’m getting my MBA. Before returning to school I worked for five years on a trading desk at SEI Investments outside of Philadelphia. I got my bachelor’s degree from Franklin & Marshall College in Lancaster, PA, and hadn’t lived outside of Pennsylvania before moving to South Bend, IN. I’ll be serving as an intern from mid-May until returning to school in August.
- BILL: I’m a current MBA student at Vanderbilt. Prior to moving to Nashville, I was a civil engineer in Dallas. I’ll be with Holladay until returning to school in August.
- GARRETT: I came to Holladay Properties from the Mendoza College of Business MBA Program at Notre Dame. Prior to Mendoza I worked in finance at Northern Trust and social work at Barton Healthcare.
Q: What are/will be your primary duties at Holladay?
- ROBERT: As an intern I’ll be working on a number of projects this summer, mostly with the development and asset management teams, although I’ve been told it should be an evolving role as the summer progresses.
- BILL: I’m working with the Development team assisting with acquisitions, redevelopment, leasing, and active/potential development projects.
- GARRETT: My primary duties at Holladay will be providing assistance for the Downers Grove Burlington Station project and the Promenade at Founder’s Square project.
Q: What is your title?
- ROBERT: My official title is “Commercial Real Estate Development MBA Intern.”
- BILL: Development Intern.
- GARRETT: My title is "Development Analyst."
Q: Why did you decide to join the Holladay team?
- ROBERT: I decided to join the team because I wanted to work in commercial real estate, and Holladay provided a great opportunity for hands-on experience. When I came for my interview everyone was really welcoming and they were excited about potential projects for the summer; they made it feel like a good fit for me.
- BILL: I was impressed by the scope of work Holladay was doing as well as the opportunity to experience a wide variety of projects and tasks. I also appreciated the team and the atmosphere of the office.
- GARRETT: I decided to join the Holladay team because I had an excellent interview experience with both Drew Mitchell and Maureen Johnson.
Q: What are you most excited/nervous about for your time with Holladay?
- ROBERT: As someone without a real estate background, I’m excited to get to know everyone and learn from their experience in commercial real estate. In my short time here I’ve already learned that there’s so many differences between investing in real estate versus public markets, and I’m excited about working on some of the projects this summer to learn the trade.
- BILL: I’m most excited about seeing all that goes into a successful project and taking another step toward realizing my dream of working in commercial real estate!
- GARRETT: Everyone I have worked with has been very warm and encouraging. This is such an amazing opportunity and I am most excited about being able to work with such a welcoming community.
Welcome to our team, Robert, Bill and Garrett!