From the Holladay Health Corner
By Amanda Watson, Marketing Director (Portage, IN)
I love spring! But, it’s also the time of year when seasonal allergies kick in, or, for people like me who suffer year-round allergy symptoms, allergies get worse. So, to help everyone out there enjoy the Spring instead of dread it, I’ve done some research to help you deal with those pesky problems that the warmer weather seems to bring in. Whether your symptoms are common like sneezing, stuffy or runny nose, or itchy and watery eyes, or more severe like sore throat, headaches, hives, and fatigue, I’ve got some suggestions to help alleviate your issues.
- Take an over-the-counter allergy medication when your allergy symptoms start and keep taking them while symptoms persist. Ask your doctor for a recommendation or prescription.
- Use allergy-friendly eye drops to help ease dry, itchy eyes.
- Keep your windows closed at home. We know that letting in fresh air after months of being cooped up because of the cold is tempting, but if you have allergies, this can worsen your symptoms.
- Use nasal rinses or nasal sprays to help keep your nasal passages clean and clear.
- Consider essential oils – there are tons of blogs and articles out there that can help you make an informed decision on what’s right for you and your household.
- Get your daily dose of Vitamin C. We all know the benefits of keeping your immune system in tip-top shape, so make sure you’re doing all you can.
- Keep your household filters, including air and furnace filters, clean by changing them regularly.
- Run a dehumidifier. Dehumidifiers can stop mold growth and eliminate dust mites, which both contribute to indoor allergies.